41st Annual World Open
June 29-July 7, 2013
The 41st Annual World Open was held from June 29-July 7, 2013, at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City, 2799 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, Virginia.
A 10-way tie for 1st in the Open Section led to an Armageddon play-off game between the two players with the best tie-break scores. This game was contested by GM Yuniesky Quesada Perez, with white, against GM Varuzhan Akobian. Yuniesky had 5 minutes to Akobian’s 3 minutes and draw odds. The play-off game finished in a draw and so GM Varuzhan Akobian is the 2013 World Open Champion!
IM norms were scored by Sean Vibbert, Luke Harmon-Vellotti, Arthur Shen, Kevin Wang, Christopher Gu and Shiyam Thavandiran.
Final standings for all the sections are now posted.
Please use the following links to view more information from the World Open 2013:
- Tournament Information: Sections, schedules, entry fees, prize funds, hotel info, etc.
Other World Open Events
Please use the following links to view more information on other events taking place at the World Open site in Arlington, Virginia:
- World Open Senior Amateur – June 28-30, 2013
- World Open Under 13 Championship – June 29-30, 2013
- World Open Women’s Championship – July 1-3, 2013
- Other Side Events, Blitz events, G/10, etc.