Grandmaster Sergey Erenburg won the New England Masters held from August 11-15, 2008 at the Blackstone Chess Club, Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Sergey’s last round victory over Parker Zhao left him with a final score of 7/9, half-point ahead of Grandmaster Timur Gareev who finished in 2nd as he could only manage a draw with IM Jacek Stopa.
IM Eli Vovsha finished by himself in 3rd place with 6/9 and there was a four way tie for 4th-7th with GM Leonid Kritz, IM Josh Friedel, IM Jacek Stopa and Parker Zhao all finishing with 6 points.
IM norms were achieved by American Parker Zhao and Canadian Victor Kaminski. This was both player’s first ever IM norm. Parker took the Under 2400 prize while Victor and FM Elliott Liu won the Under 2300 prize. The Under 2200 prize went to Canadian Hugues Masse who finished with 5/9.
Please select from one of the following links to obtain more information about the New England Masters 2008:
New England Masters 2008 in the news…
- Masterful Erenburg (Chess Life, Oct 27, 2008)
- Erenburg Wins in New England (Chess Life Online, Aug 17, 2008)
- RI Chess School Hosts International Tournament (Providence Journal – video, Aug 15, 2008)
- New England Norm Hunt Is On (Chess Life Online, Aug 15, 2008)
- Kings and Queens in Pawtucket (Providence Journal, Aug 15, 2008)
- Gareev, Erenburg, Vovsha Lead NE Masters (Susan Polgar Blog, Aug 14, 2008)
- New England Masters in Full Swing (Chess Life Online, Aug 13, 2008)
- Pawtucket Hosts Chess Grandmasters at World Tourney (Providence Journal, Aug 8, 2008)
- New England Masters Preview (Chess Life Online, Aug 8, 2008)
- New England Masters 2008 (Chessdom, Jul 7, 2008)